Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest
Hope. Love. Home. Sanctuary for primates.
June 1, 2010 by J.B.
Hillary Anastasia says
June 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm
aaaw looks so peaceful wondering what she’s dreaming about?
June 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm
oops he is dreaming about?it’s Burrito not Jamie
June 1, 2010 at 4:23 pm
I believe this beauty is Negra. Look at that little smile on her face.. I bet she’s dreaming of being surrounded by night bags and soft blankets. Sweet dreams Negra!!!!
June 1, 2010 at 4:56 pm
She looks so peaceful and sweet. Sweet dreams, Negra.
Candy (Tyler, Texas) says
June 1, 2010 at 5:38 pm
I have “sleeping” questions:
1) I know they go to bed early, do they usually sleep in the same place every night?
2) Do they all sleep in a nest at night?
3) Do they sleep, at night, for hours at a time or intermittently?
4) How long are naps?
5) Are any of the “7” that wake up slowly or like to sleep in?
6) Do they usually go to sleep right away or piddle around?
7) Does anyone have a sleeping buddy they sleep next to?
Margaret and Karen says
June 1, 2010 at 5:52 pm
Oh my darling, Negra. I might have to paint a painting of you sleeping. Margaret
June 1, 2010 at 6:27 pm
This photo put the biggest smile on my face, ever. Thank you!
Amy Goldshine says
June 1, 2010 at 6:32 pm
She looks so peaceful. Sweet dreams Negra!
June 1, 2010 at 7:12 pm
This may be the sweetest picture I’ve ever seen!!!!!
Julie Harding says
June 1, 2010 at 8:40 pm
Oh Negra….you look so peaceful…and you deserve it!
Good questions, Candy! I hope they get answered…hint, hint, J.B.!!
June 2, 2010 at 6:38 am
Doesn’t look like she has a care in the world, and that’s how it’s suppose to be she deserves many many happy dreams.
June 3, 2010 at 7:33 am
Hi Candy –
1) Each chimp has a few favorite sleeping spots, but they do not sleep in the same place every night.
2) Foxie and Burrito still do not regularly sleep in nests.
3) They generally sleep through the night.
4) During the day, the chimps often take 1/2 hr to 1 hr naps. Some, like Jamie, rarely nap, while others, like Negra, almost always do. A post-lunch “siesta” is fairly common.
5) Negra always sleeps in, and usually shows up for breakfast with “bed-head”.
6) Most of the chimps start making nests as soon as they finish dinner. Jamie is the exception. She’s always “piddling” around when we leave for the night.
7) Annie likes to build her nest next to Missy.
June 3, 2010 at 1:34 pm
Thanks J.B. for answering my questions. Why, I don’t know, but I was surprised to find they sleep through the night. If you could get a picture of Negra’s bed-head it would be greatly appreciated by everyone.
You know we’ve always talked about how good food, enrichment and love have helped the 7, but I think getting a good night’s sleep is just as important for their health. I can’t imagine what it would be like to sleep in a lab, the noises, the smells, the door opening and not knowing if they’re coming for you or not.
I remember the video of Jamie sipping her hot tea and quietly, yes quietly, enjoying the morning before everyone else gets up, that was a very peaceful moment.
June 3, 2010 at 4:28 pm
Yes, thank you for all those answers, J.B.! It’s all fascinating stuff to know. And I will second Candy’s comment…now we aren’t going to be truly happy until we get to see a sleepy Neggy with bed-head. (My goodness, we are certainly a “what-have-you-done-for-me-lately” bunch, aren’t we? haha!) 🙂
PO Box 952
Cle Elum, WA 98922
501c3 registered charity
Copyright © 2020 Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest. All Rights Reserved. Site by Vegan Web Design