I learned about chimps at a very early age. Sometimes when a child sends a letter or donation or favorite toy to the chimps, I think “that could have been me!” Of course when I was little there was no internet and there were no chimp sanctuaries, so it probably couldn’t have been me. But I’m continually impressed by this wiser and more connected generation of kids who are doing something. I want to send a huge thank you to these wonderful kids:
- Third grader Avalon, who was inspired by the chimps when they were featured as the Community Math Partner in our local school district’s mathematics program, made and sold art projects to raise money for the chimps.
- Seven year old Ryan who gets $14/month as his allowance and has committed 10% of that per month to the chimps.
- Eleven year old Sarah who asked for no gifts for her birthday, just donations to the chimps.
- Lily, who collected money for the chimps.
- Karaline, who collected toys and clothes for the chimps and made this message:
- And of course, the always inspiring Brandon Wood, who works tirelessly to “Make a Chimp Smile.” Here’s his latest project. Be sure to lend your name.
I know there are many others who have done sweet things for the chimps too. This is just a small and recent sampling!